Serving Our Community in Many WaysOur Health System exhibits adherence to high standards of principled corporate behavior and a deep commitment to community service. We covet our responsibilities to serve our community in ways that transcend the traditional clinical realm of health care. In terms of community service, we take pride in our partnerships, affiliations and active involvement with organizations and programs affecting people of all ages.
We are involved not because we have to be, but rather because we want to be. We accept the responsibilities of community service because it is important and imperative that we serve the health needs of everyone in our community in every way possible.
These include, but are not limited to, such factors as:
- Active membership with and representation on the boards of chambers of commerce, industrial and community development and revitalization organizations in the region; the Center In The Woods in California, Leadership Washington County and the Mon Valley Progress Council.
- Financial support and active participation with such community causes as United Way, American Red Cross, American Heart Association, Salvation Army, American Cancer Society, Scouting for Food, March of Dimes, Special Olympics, Junior Achievement, Monessen Tobacco Free Coalition, Tobacco Free Washington County, Brother's Brother, Casa for Kids, Mon Valley YMCA, Mon Valley Consortium for Public Education, Toys for Tots, Make-A-Wish Foundation, Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, Bone Marrow Drive, Monongahela Valley Branch of the NAACP, community food banks and Scouting programs for boys and girls.
- Funding for the purchase of automated external defibrillators (AED) and other equipment for police and volunteer fire departments in the mid-Monongahela Valley.
- Sponsorship of and participation in health fairs and wellness screenings presented by civic and church groups throughout the area and presentation of similar events at our Hospital and our Healthy Directions community outreach and resource center in Finleyville. This also includes partnering with Southwestern Pennsylvania Human Services n many projects, presenting CPR and First Aid classes at our Hospital in conjunction with the Mon Valley Health and Safety Training Center. In addition, MVH works with Community Action Southwest's Women, Infant and Children program to present an annual Mom's Shower for new mothers and also a Family Fun Day at our Hospital.
- Involvement of members of our Medical Staff and our Nursing Team in medical missions of mercy in countries around the world. Physicians at MVH also have actively participated in the Innovations In Medicine series of education programs for the public and in wellness screenings at our Hospital.
- Major sponsorship of The Valley Independent's Newspapers in Education and Mini Page for Students programs and the Wall Street Journal's Classroom Edition project.
- Support of U.S. military personnel including "care packages" for those deployed overseas and support of local veterans organizations.
- The Child Registry program presented by the Auxiliary of Mon-Vale Health Resources, Inc., in which kindergarten students in area school districts are fingerprinted and parents are presented with an informational/statistical book about their children.
Since its inception, Child Registry has processed more than 14,000 area children. The Auxiliary also sponsors a Volunteen program in which teenagers volunteer their services and learn in a variety of capacities at MVH. The Auxiliary awards an annual $500 scholarship to a Volunteen pursuing a career in health care.
- Sponsorship of the Mon Valley Home and Garden Show, the Mid Mon Valley All Sports Hall of Fame, the Mid Mon Valley Track Classic and such holiday events as Fourth of July celebrations in the area.
- Members of Team MVH are actively involved as coaches with youth athletic teams; Scouting leaders; volunteer firemen and members of emergency medical service units; members and leaders of service clubs, church groups and veterans organizations, and members of animal shelters.
- Wellness screenings and educational programs for senior citizens at senior centers in the area and through the Adopt A High-rise project which presents similar events as well as social gatherings at high-rises in the Mon Valley.
- The Healthy Communities program in which Team MVH members are assigned to school districts throughout the area to help coordinate educational presentations on a variety of wellness subjects and health care careers. This program is enhanced with programs and Shadowing opportunities at our Hospital.